- Why submit a Domain Name Application?
During the Domain Name Application period, companies have
the opportunity to apply for a domain name prior to the
launch of the Registry and the acceptance of regular domain
- Are there any specifications regulating which .biz domains can or cannot be registered?
Yes. ICANN has sanctioned that all single-character labels
and two-character labels be initially reserved. Therefore
registrants may not register domains with a single character
(eg. www.b.biz) or two-character labels (eg. www.me.biz).
- When does the Domain Name Application Service begin?
The Domain Name Application step begins June 25, 2001 and
ends September 17, 2001. Any names submitted after September
17 will not be considered eligible for Name Selection.
- What happens between September 26, 2001 and October 1, 2001?
During this time, the NeuLevel registry will collect all
Domain Applications submitted during the June 25, 2001 -
September 25, 2001 time period and randomly select who the
.biz registration request will be awarded to (if there is
more than one application for a particular domain).
- How does a registrant submit?
Here's an overview of how the Domain Name Application Step works:
NOTE: Because it is anticipated that there may be multiple
requests for many of the same names, there is no guarantee
that a company's domain name request will be successfully
registered by submitting an application.
- Businesses submit .biz domain name applications to Mintac.com.
- Mintac.com will submit these requests to NeuLevel, the .biz Registry.
- The submission provides businesses and individuals with
the opportunity to apply for their desired domain name prior
to general registration of domain names.
- All names submitted during this step will be processed
during this step.
- In cases where multiple domain name applications were
submitted for the same name, the Registry will select one
application through a completely neutral and random process-ignoring
the order in which the submissions were received and avoiding
preference toward any Registrar.
- Mintac.com will notify registrants of all successful and unsuccessful domain name applicants.
- Is there an application fee?
Yes. The NeuLevel registry is charging a non-refundable
domain application fee for every domain application received
in this phase. As a result, Mintac.com will be charging our
clients a non-refundable domain application fee
of US$10 per domain application.
- How much is domain registration?
Minimum initial registration is US$60. (US$30/domain/year
for a minimum for two years.)
- Will the domain application guarantee the registrant the name they request?
No. The registrant is not guaranteed the .biz name even
though they have submitted a request. The registry will
be utilizing a lottery system to randomly select a registrant
to receive the domain they have applied for. The registrant
is still required to pay the non-refundable domain application
- How are clients billed for a .biz domain name?
Upon successfully obtaining a name, clients will be required
to pay the registration fee to secure the name.
This fee will be collected after successful registration
of the domain name. The amount of the fee will depend on
the length of the registration term. A minimum of 2 years
will be required.
- What happens if my registrant is the only applicant for a particular domain?
The registrant will automatically be awarded the domain
that they have pre-registered for. They are still required
to pay the non-refundable domain application fee plus the
cost of the domain.
- What about protection of Intellectual Property Rights?
All domain name applications will be compared against the
IP Claim Service database. Whenever the comparison results
in an exact match between a domain name application and
an IP Claim, the prospective registrant will be notified
by e-mail. The e-mail will contain the name of the registrant
that submitted the application, the name and contact information
of the IP Claimant-as well as information regarding the
IP Claim. There will also be a link to a Web site where
the pre-registrant must go to confirm their desire to either
proceed with the application or cancel the request.
At the end of Domain Name Application and .biz Name Selection,
all of the domain name requests are processed and awarded
appropriately. You will be notified through Mintac.com.
- Can we make more than one domain application for .biz domain names?
Sure, .biz operates like a lottery so the more applications
(tickets) you buy the better your chances of winning; the
best way of securing a domain name is by filing an IP Claim.
- During the Domain Name Application Period for .biz, what documents / proofs of rights do registrants have to have to prove their claim to a domain? (or to avoid being successfully challenged by some other claimants)
Unless they or someone else has filed an IP claim against
that name, the domain name application is done randomly.
There is no recourse outside of the normal provisions of
- What do I put into the "Number of Tickets" field on the .biz pre-registration form in the RWI?
The number of tickets is the number of applications/lottery
tickets for the domain name.
- What if a .biz application is unsuccessful?
With .biz you pay a non-refundable application fee for each
ticket, if it fails you get nothing back.
- What if a .biz application is successful?
If it succeeds, you are then billed for the minimum two-year
registration fee (unless you asked for longer).